This following is a list of published articles by Hazel Rowley.
Full-Text Online Articles
Click on the titles of the articles below to read their full text.
The American Scholar, Winter 2009The challenges of publishing a biography in modern-day France.
BookForum, Feb./Mar. 2008On the Village Voice bookshop in Paris.
The Australian, August 25, 2007Australia and its Tall Poppy Syndrome.
BookForum, April/May 2007; Best Australian Essays 2006.Rowley in Brazil, on the trail of Sartre and Beauvoir.
The Nation, September 11, 2006.
BookForum, December/January 2006.
Best Australian Essays 1999On Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird.
The Australian, December 1996Why Rowley left her tenured position at an Australian university.
Articles Not Online
The following is a listing of published articles by Hazel Rowley that are not currently available online.
- "The Ups, the Downs: My Life as a Biographer," Best Australian Essays 2007.
- "Sartre and Beauvoir: An Intellectual Passion," Journal of Romance Studies, vol. 6, nos. 1 & 2, spring-summer 2006.
- "Preface to Simone de Beauvoir, Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter," New York, HarperCollins, 2005.
- "Christina Stead," Best Australian Essays 2002.
- "Richard Wright's Africa," Antioch Review, Fall 2000.
- "The Shadow of the White Woman; Richard Wright and the Book-of-the-Month Club," Partisan Review, Fall 1999.
- "Backstage and Onstage: The Drama of Native Son," Mississippi Quarterly, summer 1999.
- "Off With Their Heads: Black Intellectuals in the United States," The Australian's Review of Books, September 9, 1998.
- "Framing Richard Wright," Yale University Library Gazette, April 1998.
- "Poetic Justice: Elizabeth Hardwick's Sleepless Nights," Texas Studies in Literature and Language, vol. 39, no. 4, winter 1997.
- "That Black Limousine on the Mekong: Marguerite Duras' Chinese Puzzle," a/b: Auto/Biography Studies, vol. 12, no. 1, spring 1997.
- "Christina Stead: Un-Australian?" Southerly, vol. 53, no. 4, December 1993 .
- "Simone de Beauvoir: The Choix Originel," Prose Studies, vol. 15, no. 3, December 1992.
- "How have biographies been written and how can they be?" Australian Feminist Studies, no. 16, summer 1992.
- "How Real is Sam Pollit? 'Dramatic Truth' and 'Procès-verbal' in The Man Who Loved Children," Contemporary Literature, winter 1990, vol. 31, no. 4, November 1990.
- "Christina Stead: Politics and Literature in the Radical Years, 1935-1942," Meridian (Melbourne) vol. 8, no. 2, October 1989.
- "Christina Stead: The Voyage to Cythera." Span (Sydney), April 1988.
- "The Beautiful and The Damned: George Johnston and Auto/Biographical Fictions," Island Magazine (Tasmania), no.34/35, autumn 1988.
- "A Wanderer: Christina Stead," Westerly (Western Australia) vol. 33, no.1. 1988.
- "Becoming a Man: Mateship and Horsemanship in Randolph Stow's The Merry-Go-Round in the Sea," Southerly (Sydney), 4, December 1987.