Hazel Rowley was living in New York at the time of her sudden death in March 2011. She was 59. Following her death, the following tributes and obituaries were published in Australia and the USA.
- Sophia, Patrick Hutchings, June 2011
- The Advertiser, Rosemary Lloyd, 28 May 2011
- Lumen, The University of Adelaide Alumni Magazine, Rosemary Lloyd, Winter 2011
- New York Times, Margalit Fox, 15 March 2011
- La Vanguardia, 27 March 2011
- The Age, Peter Craven, 7 March 2011
- Australian Book Review, Lucy Sussex, April 2011
- The Washington Post, Emma Brown, 16 March 2011
- Boston Globe, Margalit Fox, 25 March, 2011
The 2012 Hazel Rowley Memorial Lecture was held in New York on 9 February 2012 at the Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College. Jodi Kantor, biographer of The Obamas and New York Times correspondent, and Kati Marton, author of seven books, including Hidden Power — Presidential Marriages that Shaped our History, held a conversation about the Obamas for an audience of about 500.
A one-day conference — The Lives of Hazel Rowley — was held in Adelaide in November 2011 to honour the life and writings of Hazel Rowley. The papers from this conference were published in 2013 as Magnificent Obsessions: Honouring the Lives of Hazel Rowley by Cambridge Scholars Publishing. The book was edited by Rosemary Lloyd and Jean Fornasiero and the painting on the front cover is by Jeanette Demeester.